So goes California, so goes the West, by David Cole.
It was October 2003 … Arnold Schwarzenegger had just scored a landslide gubernatorial victory as an anti-illegal-immigration candidate. Yes, I know it’s hard to believe that weak-kneed girly-man Ahnold was once seen as an anti-immigration extremist. But that’s how he was portrayed, and the [Los Angeles] Times had spent the preelection months warning readers that a Schwarzenegger victory would lead to mass roundups and death camps for brown people. …
Leftists understood, better than most Schwarzenegger voters, the import of that victory. It was the last gasp of a people with expectations of living a good life in an Edenic state.
Those expectations had fueled California’s populist referendums of the ’90s.
- We’d overwhelmingly passed the most restrictive anti-illegal-immigration ballot measure in the nation.
- We outlawed affirmative action in state colleges and universities, we ended bilingual education in favor of English immersion
- We passed a “three strikes” law that put inveterate criminals away for 25-to-life even if their third felony wasn’t murder (because the idea was to stop them before they got that far)
- We defeated the Hollywood left’s “Big Green” global-warming initiative, which would have eliminated 100,000 jobs, cut state economic growth by 2%, and cost upwards of $12 billion. …
White Californians — described by [leftist columnist Peter King] as “natives” — want to preserve the state as an Eden. …
- We wanted California, not “Mexico North.”
- We wanted academic institutions that based admissions on grades and test scores, not “victim points.”
- We wanted to be able to read store signs, menus, and billboards in our own language.
- We wanted to be able to walk down the street without fearing serial predators operating on their fifth or sixth felony,
- We valued jobs and economic growth over apocalyptic global-warming hallucinations. …
The natives fear that their “Eden has been squandered” thanks to “shifting demographics.” But such fears are unfounded, King counseled, the product of an irrational hatred of “the other” and an unrealistic expectation of “paradise.”
In plain English, the white natives are riled because their expectations are too high. Stop demanding Eden, and you’ll have no reason to fear those new, illegal “others.”
We should be grateful to [columnist] Peter King for saying what was likely on the mind of every leftist who was doing a slow burn while watching the natives score that one final victory in the fight to preserve their quality of life: How dare those bastards expect to live in paradise.
If America is to be properly Third Worlded, certain people must be broken. Whites who dream of paradise are the wrong kind of “dreamers.” The expectations lambasted by King in ’03 must be dashed and abandoned. Once sights are lowered, worsened conditions can be accepted.
We now have a governor who gives speeches aimed solely at the state’s illegals, gleefully bragging about how great it is that the California of the 1990s has been killed off. In sixteen years, we’ve gone from a governor promising to control the border to one so disdainful of the “sun-drenched natives” that he tailors his speeches to foreign nationals while gloating over the disenfranchisement of those who tried to preserve the Eden of old.
Thanks to “shifted demographics,” he doesn’t even have to pretend to pander to natives like me. …
We haven’t just defiled paradise; we’ve turned it into a Taco Bell restroom.
- We’re nationally ranked last in quality of life. We’re in the top ten worst states to retire.
- We’re top ten worst in student academic performance (right above D.C. and Arkansas), and twelfth worst overall school system in the U.S.
- We’re the worst state for working moms (even though we’re so proudly “feminist”).
- We’re the worst state for business, and the worst state for pollution.
- We have the highest taxes, and the highest poverty rate.
- We’re ranked 49 out of 50 for “opportunity” (only Louisiana outsucks us). …
- We are the nation’s “most diverse” state. Most diverse, worst quality of life, worst schools and test scores, worst retirement, worst for business, worst pollution, worst poverty. …
The culture changed to accommodate the newcomers:
Currently, theft of anything below $950 in value results in a misdemeanor ticket like jaywalking. Literally, you can grab $900 of merchandise from a store, walk out the door, and the worst that’ll happen to you is that you’ll get a citation. As a result, as even the far-left San Francisco press was forced to concede, most theft suspects face “no pursuit and no punishment.”
Property thefts are surging, and small businesses are closing as they hemorrhage money thanks to shoplifters who know they can waltz in, grab up to $950 in merch, and walk away unmolested.
In California, car burglary convictions can’t be won unless the prosecutor can prove that the car door was locked when the burglary occurred. A car’s window can be bashed in with a rock, but unless the owner has “evidence” that he locked the door when he left, the thief walks. I’m not making that up. As the L.A. Times admits, this has pushed car break-ins to “crisis levels.” …
We’ve turned the state over to illegals, to Spanish-first, to criminals, to high taxes. We’ve been neutered, tamed, and pacified. Break into our homes and cars, crap on our sidewalks, crap on our immigration laws (California has a record 45 “sanctuary” counties), we’re cool with it now.
King accurately pinpointed what the left needs to do in order to turn this country into a Third World shithole: The dream of Eden must be eradicated. King hated what he saw in us, that desire to live well. He especially hated seeing white folks with high expectations. Because generally white folks can, if they set their mind to it, make things happen. If they expect paradise, they’ll work toward it. Keep chipping away at those expectations, and soon enough they’ll accept their diminished state.
Climate change is a crisis the left tells us, look over there! Don’t worry about culture change, it’s inevitable, they say.
The left have it totally backwards, unless we let them have their way with us.