English woman died after falling on metal straw that went through her eye, impaled brain, inquest hears

English woman died after falling on metal straw that went through her eye, impaled brain, inquest hears. By Travis Fedschun.

Metal straws may be eco-friendly, but a coroner has warned of the potential dangers they pose after a woman in England died last year in a freak accident.

Elena Struthers-Gardner, 60, sustained a traumatic brain injury after falling while carrying a mason jar-styled drinking glass that had a screw-top lid at her home in Dorset on Nov. 22, an inquest heard on Monday. …

When Struthers-Gardner fell, officials said the 10-inch metal straw pierced through her eye and into her brain. …

Mandy told the hearing she found her partner lying in a doorway …

“She was making unusual gurgling sounds. Her glass cup was lying on the floor still intact and the straw was still in the jar,” she said Monday. “I noticed the straw was sticking into her head.”

She was rushed to a hospital, but doctors told her partner the severity of her injury made it very unlikely Struthers-Gardner would survive. Her life support was eventually switched off.

An oldie but a goodie, from when plastic straws were first made illegal:

It takes far more energy to make a metal straw than a plastic straw.