Six Reasons AOC Is The Leftist Trump, by Ben Shapiro.
Well, the Democrats have decided. They want their own Trump. Her name is Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez. Here are six reasons Ocasio-Cortez is the Leftist Trump.
1. She Accomplished A Thing, And Her Supporters Have Mistaken That Accomplishment For A Qualification. Ocasio-Cortez won a Democratic primary in a totally blue district. … Like Trump, her victory in a primary was taken as a qualification for office: she wins! It’s not taking anything away from her victory to point out that her district happened to be majority minority: 18.4 percent white, 49.8 percent Hispanic. The representative in that district, Joe Crowley, was white. …
2. The Media Can’t Stop Covering Her. Because Ocasio-Cortez is young (29) and attractive, the media haven’t been able to stop covering her. Her every utterance has been treated as a pearl of wisdom, her every idiocy treated as a new approach to governance. She’s been treated as the head of a movement that, statistically, does not exist as of yet (her attempts to endorse primary candidates backfired tremendously in 2018). … In 2016, Trump received billions in free media coverage. Ocasio-Cortez is playing the same game, and playing it well.
3. She’s Great At Social Media. It’s not just that the mainstream media have made Ocasio-Cortez a star: she’s also terrific at social media (or at least her team is). … She plays the politics of personality beautifully. She’s essentially a new-fangled reality TV star. She’s likable (no, that’s not sexist), and looks like she’s having a good time. So did Trump, at least early on – and his social media appeal gave him the unique capacity to go over the heads of the media, which forced the media to play his game.
4. She Says Incredibly Stupid Things Regularly. … Her unique capacity to draw cameras, combined with her near-incredible ignorance on a variety of topics, makes it almost impossible for the right wing to ignore her. If they ignore, her media allies simply repeat her stupidities verbatim and pretend that the right has no response; if they engage, her media allies claim she’s in their heads. …
5. She’s Got A Massive Victim Complex. … Rarely has a politician ever received such gushing media coverage without qualification — and yet she’s still whining that she’s being fact-checked, that the media aren’t sufficiently racially diverse to properly cover her, that the right-wing is mean to her. It works for her supporters, who see every complaint as evidence that she’s “fighting the system.” The only difference: Trump was correct to claim that the media hates anyone remotely conservative. Ocasio-Cortez’s complaints about media malfeasance are simply ridiculous. But the far-left is under the impression that the mainstream media are their enemies, rather than their chief bullhorn.
6. She’s Terrific At Trolling People.
Reader Mark chips in on how her New Green Deal can be funded:
Easy! A poll tax.
Money needed for the Green New Deal is $38 trillion. Divided by the 235,248,000 people of voting age is $161,532 per voter. On top of all the other taxes.
I know the new immigrants from central America might get a bit of a fright when they find their “Welcome to the United States kit” contains a bill for $161,532 that is immediately payable. But think about all the free stuff they will get, and Green energy (at least on sunny days when the wind is blowing).
The problem with taxing the rich is that the rich have a habit of disappearing when taxes get too high. Companies can disappear overseas, taking their profits with them.
Capital is free to move between companies; people are not. Which protects us from really punitive taxes like AOC’s “solutions”.
hat-tip Scott of the Pacific