Environmentalists truly believed and predicted during the first Earth Day in 1970 that the planet was doomed unless drastic actions were taken.
- Civilization Will End Within 15 Or 30 Years (Nobel-prize-wining Harvard biologist, advisor to Soviet Government)
- 100-200 Million People Per Year Will Be Starving To Death During The Next Ten Years
- Population Will Inevitably And Completely Outstrip Whatever Small Increases In Food Supplies We Make
- Demographers Agree Almost Unanimously … Thirty Years From Now, The Entire World … Will Be In Famine
- In A Decade, Urban Dwellers Will Have To Wear Gas Masks To Survive Air Pollution
- Childbearing [Will Be] A Punishable Crime Against Society, Unless The Parents Hold A Government License
- By The Year 2000 … There Won’t Be Any More Crude Oil
There are still people who take Earth Day seriously — must be some political advantage in it for them, because they sure aren’t advertising their intellectual prowess.